Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Day at the Farm February 17, 2016






These are pictures of leaf buds on a Red Buckeye.  I just love the way this tree breaks dormancy.  So pretty and unusual-looking.
Took a day off and the dogs and I went up to the farm for the day.

  • The first thing I did was go down to the Orchard and water all my young trees.  I spent about two hours down there watering and pulling weeds.  I also cut back the Scarlet Wave cannas while I was down there.
  • I'm so excited about the Orchard.  It looks healthy and productive.  
  • Spent some time in the Rose Garden doing some watering.  It is so dry right now.  There has been no rain for a long time.  I also lightly trimmed several rose shrubs.  This year I'm not going to heavy-prune my roses. The antique roses don't seem to respond to that. I have always read that, but  I really thought last year that I almost lost a few because of heavy pruning.
  • I pulled up all the dead debris in the Shade Garden:  Snakeroot and gingers.  I carried two huge wheelbarrows full of dead vegetation to the burn pile.  It looks really good in there now.
  • Watered in a few places in the Star Garden.  
  • Cleaned up in the Boardwalk Gardens, pulling up gingers and weeding. 
  • I was reluctant to leave, the day was so beautiful, but alas I had to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment