Sunday, February 14, 2016

Weekend at the Farm February 13 - 14, 2016

This one of my double daffodils.  They are just beginning to open.

Spent Saturday with Blake and Sammy.  Bert drove home to Houston to get me Saturday evening.  The Mini Cooper was not running right and I couldn't drive it to Burton.

  • Took a walk around the place with Bert, our dogs, Hank the neighbors' dog and Grey Kitty.
  • I planted a Lider #9 Satsuma in the Orchard.  It's supposed to be very cold hardy, but if we get a hard freeze I will have to protect it since it is so newly planted.
  • Watered my young fruit trees.
  • The 3 in 1 apple tree is about to bloom, and the Crabapple is leafing out.
  • I planted a mophead hydrangea in the Greenhouse Garden.  Madame Emilie Mouilliere is the name of it.  It blooms white and darkens to pale pink blush as the flowers age.
  • I also planted a Night Blooming Jasmine in the Greenhouse Garden.  The fragrant flowers open up at night and scent the air.  I am planning to plant a flat of Nicotiana in that same area in the spring time.  They also scent the air at night.  I will plant white ones, and this will be my moonlight garden.  If we get a hard freeze in February or March I will have to protect it.
  • Also planted a small Pennyroyal in the Medicine Garden, hard to believe that I don't have any more.  At one time it was everywhere, and like all mints they grow like crazy.  But mine disappeared! 
  • I also planted a Zuta Levana Hyssop plant in the Medicine Garden.
  • Raked for a long while in the Greenhouse Garden.  Piled up a bunch of leaves around one of my Mexican Buckeye trees and put the hose on it for about 30 minutes.
  • I spent about 3 hours watering in the Rose Garden.  It was pretty dry in there.
  • I finally figured out that there was a rock in one of my hoses in the Star Garden, and that is why the sprinkler was so weak.  Bert cut off the end of the hose, pulled out the rock and clamped a new end on it.  Back up and running!  What would I do without Bert?
  • Raked in the Star Garden around my Almond Verbena that is taking its time shedding.
  • Weeded in the Orchard for a while.
  • Watered the potted plants around the pool.
  • Hand watered a few small shrubs.
  • Headed home about 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment