Sunday, February 7, 2016

Weekend at the Farm February 5 - 7, 2016

This is my Orchard during the winter dormant period.  I have Muscadine grapes growing on a trellis on the left side of the photo.  Blackberry vines grow in 5 beds, three towards the front of the photo and two in the back of the photo.  I have two apple trees, varieties that have been bred for the warm south:  Einshemer, Anna, Dorsett Golden (all grafted on the same tree), and a Fuji.  I planted a Pakistan Mulberry last winter and it has really gotten big.  Interesting variety, the berries are really big. they grow to about 3 inches long.  In the middle bed I am growing a Southern Crabapple and behind it is a Beauty Plum tree.  Along the back of the Orchard I am growing a Mexican Plum (which is a native plum tree) and a Santa Rosa Plum.  In the beds on the right side of the photo I am growing a Mayhaw and a Jujube.  Eventually I will plant my Joey Avocado in one of the empty beds, but it needs a little time in a pot.

Arrived on Thursday afternoon.  The weekend was cold and sunny.  Left Sunday morning to watch the Superbowl with the family.
  • The paperwhites are beginning to bloom.  This is a favorite time for me - daffodil season.
  • Watered my fruit trees with my new hose set up.  Love it!
  • Watered a few areas in the Star Garden.
  • Danced to Frank Sinatra while I vacuumed the house, cleaned the bathrooms and the kitchen sink.
  • Bert went into Giddings and bought me two 50 pound bags of cottonseed meal.  I fertilized all my fruit trees, blackberries and grapes - application number one.  It might be too early, but it's done.  I still have one bag left.  
  • Also fertilized my bluebells along the Boardwalk and my potted plants.
  • Raked in the Star Garden for awhile.
  • Took several walks around the property with the animals.
  • It rained with thunder and lightening in the wee hours of Saturday night, but Saturday was nevertheless beautiful, sunny and cool.
  • Took a walk around the place with Bert.
  • Raked in the Star Garden and The Rose Garden for a while.
  • Turned over all the beds in the Vegetable Garden again, to make really sure the grass gets good and rotten.  That was a big effort.
  • Drove into town to do some grocery shopping.
  • Walked around a long time looking at everything.  
  • Made a potato salad for the Superbowl party at Mom and Dad's house.
  • Sunday, took another walk and then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment