Monday, January 30, 2023

Day at the Farm January 28 - 29, 2023

 This is one tough vine.  This is native honeysuckle.  It has 10 or so blooms and buds on it.  And it's January!  Pretty cool. I have had it planted in that spot for 2 years now.  Most perennial vines really take off in the third year.  I am looking forward to being amazed.

 



Bert and I drove up after Rick's funeral.  It has been raining, there are about 2 inches in the rain gauge.

I turned the compost pile.

Picked leaves out of my Columbine seedling beds.

I planted 4 Toad Lily next to the ones I planted some weeks ago.  Two of them are variegated.  These are fall bloomers that like shade.  I think I am planting them in a good spot, because you have to walk right by them to get to the shed.  They have beautiful, orchid-like spotted flowers that are very small.  You don't notice them unless you come upon them. But they are very special.

I turned under the rest of the rye grass in the Vegetable Garden.  I'm planning to grow cucumbers on the goat wire arbor in that spot come springtime.

I spent a couple of hours moving plants from paths to flowerbeds.  Three Ox Eyes to the Rose Garden, three large plugs of Inland Sea Oats from the Dining Room bed to the shady part of the Star Garden, five plugs of Passalong Pink Verbena to the Dining Room bed, one large Colonial White Verbena to a bed in the White Garden.

I cut back the dead winter debris from the purple Trailing Lantana in the Rose Garden.  I tied up long canes of Peggy Martin along the top of the little fence that surrounds the Rose Garden. 






   


No comments:

Post a Comment