Saturday, January 21, 2023

Weekend at the Farm January 13 - 15, 2023

 

Worked from the farm on Friday.  Cold.  I felt feverish all day.

Amy Thomeson gave me a sackful of bur oak acorns to plant.  It takes about 35 years for a bur oak to produce an acorn, so planting these seeds around the property this weekend is the definition of  contributing to the enjoyment of future generations.  I will never see the acorns, and the trees, if any of them germinate, will only be shoulder height high when I am an old woman.

Saturday.  Up before daylight.  

I worked at the Meadow's edge in the morning clearing yaupons.  The pile of debris that I have created is large.  And it is alive with birds.  I guess they feel protected in there amongst the leaves and branches.  That is really neat.  Easy to see why creating brush piles is one of the activities that qualifies in Wildlife Management plans

Most of the day I felt sick and laid down on the couch.

Sunday.  Turned the compost piles.

I planted all the Bur Oak acorns around the outer edges of the Star Garden and in the Medicine Garden.  I planted them in groups of 3 hoping that some of them will germinate.

Did nothing for the rest of the day.  Sick.  And tired.

Monday.  Martin Luther King holiday.  I watered my roses in pots.

Headed home.





No comments:

Post a Comment