Sunday, January 8, 2023

Weekend at the Farm January 7 - 8, 2023

 

This is a bluebonnet seedling.  They are so cute.

I drove up on Saturday morning, Bert joined me later in the day from a duck hunting trip. Cool and sunny.

I spent a good part of the day raking and piling the leaves up behind the Vegetable Garden.  I raked near the pool where lots of leaves gather because of the downward slope from the pool.  I use those leaves throughout the year for browns in my compost heaps.  It was just me and my wheelbarrow since the new cadet is in the shop.  Koy and I were riding together and hit a tree over Christmas.  

I cut away Sweetspire that had creeped out of one of the beds in the Circle Drive.  Poisoned the cuts.  

Walked around into the early evening just looking at everything which is unfortunately rather forlorn-looking since the paths are grown over with vegetation (mostly wildflower seedlings),  I'm not ready to spray poison.  Too cool.

Sunday.  I spent the morning cutting yaupons along the edge of the Meadow.  I am doing this for my wildlife management exemption.  Removal of invasive yaupon is a big part of my plan.  I dragged them into the middle of the Meadow to burn.  I will count that burn as part of my exemption activities as well.  It will drop into the controlled burn bucket.

I sowed a bag of wildflower seeds in the Meadow that Amy Thomeson gave me.  It's late in the season to do it, but I did it anyway.  I also sowed some in the circle in the road in front of our house. 

I did some more raking, this time I dumped all the leaves along the Boardwalk to keep down weeds in those beds.

I picked leaves out of my Columbine seed beds.

Cut back the asparagus debris in the small bed.  Fertilized it and watered.

I dug up 30 or so Schoolhouse Lilies from a bed in the Star Garden where they do not show to their best advantage.  And I planted them in the Medicine Garden around one of the hydrangeas and one of the camellias.

I dug up a dozen or so Lycoris and planted them around Zelda's tree.

Headed home to Houston about 4:00

No comments:

Post a Comment