Monday, May 31, 2010

A Day at the Farm 05/30/10




These are Indian Spring Hollyhocks. Hollyhocks are the quintessential old-fashioned flower. I wish I could find one that was resistant to rust. What a nuisance. I have Powderpuff Hollyhocks growing in the long border. Hollyhocks reseed readily, and next year I hope to have lots of volunteers springing up all over the place.

Hot!

  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.
  • Fertilized around the pool with fish emulsion.
  • Watered the shrubs around the Greenhouse Gardens.
  • Watered the fruit trees.
  • Laid around the pool drinking Bud Lite and listening to rockabilly music on the satellite radio. It was good!
  • Deer damage in the Orchard and the Rose Garden. Bummer.
  • Planted lots of zinnia seeds. Between the armadillos, caterpillars, heat, and deer there are many opportunities for my plants not to make it. So I over-plant. I planted 6 packets of Prince and Princess mix, 2 packets of Peppermint Stick, 2 packets of Persian Carpet, 4 packets of Fruit Smoothie, and 2 packets of Envy zinnia seeds. I planted them in the Long Border, the Rose Garden, and the Star Garden.
  • Turned the soil in a few raised beds in the Vegetable Garden. I'll plant okra next week.
  • Harvested some Celebrity and pear tomatoes. Lots of jalapenos ready to harvest. Lots of ears of corn on my plants, tiny little cucumbers, and beautiful little purple eggplants.
  • Fertilized the corn.



No comments:

Post a Comment