Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 08/07-08/10

This is a leaf of Striped Beauty Canna. Beautiful.

Sunny and hot! Again. There was no rain last week and none in the forecast.

  • I cut back my Bee Balm in the Star Garden and the flowerbed outside the bedroom. It might bloom in the fall (which is another Texas summer but nicer).
  • I watered the fruit trees. We won't be back for three weeks unless I take a day of vacation, I don't know how they'll make it without either my supplemental watering or some rainfall.
  • I watered my Texas native trees.
  • I watered the shrubs around the Greenhouse.
  • I picked several dozen jalapenos. I'm going to pickle them tomorrow evening when I get home from work.
  • I harvested a cantaloupe, some arugula, several bell peppers, lots of cherry tomatoes, and two eggplants from the Vegetable Garden.
  • I cut my black and blue salvia down to the ground in the Rose Garden. It was getting very leggy. Now it will grow up from the roots and look pretty for the fall. I also cut back to the ground my catmint in the Star Garden and my white salvia greggii in the Hydrangea bed.
  • I staked chicken wire across the top of the ground where my Spanish Bluebells are planted (in the Shade Garden) because the armadillos keep digging them up. I hate those little bastards! I also staked chicken wire across one of the points in the Star Garden where I planted zinnias for the same reason - armadillos.
  • I sprayed herbicide in The Orchard and the Rose Garden and The Shade Garden.
  • I deadheaded my roses.
  • Pulled weeds. Zillions of weeds. But the effort is worth it. Everything looks really good. Very pretty and verdant.

No comments:

Post a Comment