Monday, May 30, 2011

A Day at the Farm 05/29/2011




During the evenings of the hot months of summer, bees will gather on the outside of the hive as if they are hanging out on the front porch.

We dropped off our bags and drove straight to the farm after our flight from San Diego.





  • I harvested some honey today!!! I pulled three supers from the hive. They were loaded with honey. The process is pretty disconcerting - the bees don't like when their hive is disturbed. They were angry! I brushed the bees off the surface of the supers and carried the supers inside. Then I scraped the bee wax off both sides of each of the supers and slipped them into the honey harvester. Next, I spun the handle so that the honey flew off the supers and splattered on to the sides of the metal canister. Then the honey dripped down the sides of the canister. All that was left to do after that was to open the spigot at the bottom, and let it pour through a strainer into sterilized jars. Fun! It is very thick and dark brown. Interesting. Not like what you can purchase in the grocery store. My personal experience with all things that are home grown or gathered is that they are never exactly like what can be purchased in the grocery store. My honey is delicious, but different.


  • Big disappointment: Every single plum in the Orchard was eaten by raccoons. The skins and the pits were all around the tree. Two big branches were broken from them crawling all over the tree trying to reach the plums. Damn! I couldn't believe it. Every single one was eaten.


  • I watered various plants.


  • Gathered about 30 tomatoes and some cucumbers.


  • Weeded all the gardens.


  • Swam in the pool for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment