Sunday, January 29, 2012

Composting

I am dedicated to composting. I hate to see compostable materials go to waste! Compost is very important, particularly in a location as hot as Texas. Nutrients in the soil get depleted very quickly in hot environments. It's important to prepare the soil when building a new bed by adding compost generously. But also, piling compost around shrubs and established perennials is very important too. Mulching is another good way to add nutrients to the soil.

In the fall I shred oak leaves for my compost piles. Oak leaves are superior compost material! I also sneak over the barbed wire fence and filch cow manure from my neighbor's obliging cows. That's really good stuff! I also usually add the bags of grass clippings left at my Houston neighbors' curbs because my own lawn service mulches the clippings into the grass, so I do not have any of my own. Grass clippings are a good "green". The green material cooks the compost pile, so grass clippings will really move the process along. And, of course, all the debris from the Vegetable Garden gets thrown into the pile, scraps from the kitchen, and egg shells. I also throw all the fire place ashes into the compost pile, although there is some debate as to whether or not ashes are good or bad. In a summer such as we had last year, I water the compost pile occasionally because, optimally, the compost material should be slightly moist - like a wrung-out sponge. I also occasionally turn the pile and mix things up. Turning over the compost pile helps speed up decomposition.

I am working on the above pile first. All the green material gets thrown into the above pile, and then at some point, I will let it decompose and start throwing green material into the pile below.


No comments:

Post a Comment