Sunday, January 29, 2012

What's Blooming Noew - Zeolite Calendulas

The leaves and petals of Calendulas are edible which is why I have them growing in the Vegetable Garden.

They grow very easily from seed. The seeds are large. I really like to know the size of seeds before I order them! Some seeds are like dust, so if I knew how small they were I would order a lot more packets of them. Unfortunately that is not information that seed companies offer. Calendulas like cold weather. Seeds should be sown in the fall where I garden (in Brenham, TX).
I suppose they can be sown in very early spring as well, but if they are planted in the fall the plants will be very large and floriferous when spring comes along. Another plant that likes cold weather is the Nasturtium. I planted Nasturtiums last spring, and they grew very quickly and bloomed profusely before the hot weather set in. So perhaps Calenduals would do the same. I'll have to experiment. A gorgeous bud.






No comments:

Post a Comment