Sunday, January 29, 2012

The First Erlicheer Daffodils of Winter

The Erlicheers are beginning to bloom. Erlicheers are winter bloomers. I often refer to them as spring bloomers, but they are actually considered winter bloomers. February is their normal time to bloom. I planted 100 bulbs the autumn before last. These are planted in a flowerbed that surrounds an oak tree. That was a perfectly fine spot to plant them because the oak tree is leafless during their bloom time. These are very good bulbs to plant under deciduous trees for that reason. The flowers will be long gone by the time the tree leafs out. And the greenery will yellow and disappear in the spring time.


Erlicheers have a very intense smell. I absolutely love it! But my husband considers it to be a very obnoxious scent, and he doesn't like me to cut them and bring them into the house.


The Erlicheers are loaded with buds! Along the front of the bed are Ox Eye Daisies that were growing wild in the lawn. I dug them up out of the grass and planted them in the flower bed. They put on a fine show in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment