Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm Feb 3-5 2012






Dianthus are reliable winter bloomers. I am thinking about building a winter garden. I will grow Chrysanthemums, dianthus, winter daffodils and whatever else I can think of that is perennial and blooms in the winter.


We got some really good rain this weekend. 3 inches in the rain guage. It was cool and cloudy all weekend.




  • I cut back the tuber vervain in the Master Bedroom Garden and finally was able to pull away the chicken wire that I laid down last year. Tuber vervain has purple flowers in the summer. It is perennial and spreads by underground runners and seed.


  • I pulled up a lot of weeds and threw them in the compost pile.


  • I flooded the flower bed where I have lost a lot of my Dianthus from voles eating the roots. The earth fell away just like it did with the roses when I did the same thing. There was a huge, gaping hole. I filled it with mulch.


  • I threw down seed from my Goldsturm Rudbeckia that I collected from my plants in Houston last fall. I threw them all in the bed I flooded with water.


  • I planted a Tiger Lily in that bed as well that I purchased from Arbor Gate last weekend. So excited about it!


  • I planted a Triumphator Lily in the bed where the Philippine Lilies and Ox Blood Lilies are planted, also purchased from Arbor Gate last weekend.


  • Read a Grisham book.


  • Sowed a bunch of seed that I purchased from Richters last year. Aconite, Henbane, Cnidium, Horehound, and Bai Zhi. Sowed it all in the Barbados Cherry shrub beds.


  • Picked some asparagus from the garden that had popped up. Early due to the unseasonably warm winter I guess.


  • Picked some kale from the garden and made kale chips using a recipe that my mom gave me. Just tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. Cooked in the oven for 15 minutes at 300. They were very good!


  • Walked over to the neighbor's property and checked out their progress. They have been doing some clearing. They were not there. We were being nosy.


  • Took several walks.


  • Pruned a few roses. I have a lot of roses to prune, plus I need to prune the fruit trees and the wisteria. Time to get started!


  • Left early Sunday to get back for the Superbowl.




No comments:

Post a Comment