Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm - February 24 - 26 2012

This is pretty Living Easy rose.


Arrived Friday evening. Beautiful weather. I worked hard this weekend!


  • I built another bed. Used the last of the soil that was delivered last weekend. I planted gingers in the bed that I dug up from home. Still lots of gingers in the beds in Houston that need to be moved to Burton. Backbreaking work making flower beds.

  • My husband dug up some bulbs from a house on Nixon Lake Rd. that appears to be empty. Isn't that nice! I wanted some of them, but I was too afraid to go into the yard. Perhaps someone passed away, I don't know what happened to the people that lived there. There are still cows on the property, and someone obviously checks on them. But the yard is getting really overgrown. There are some irises I have my eye on too... I planted the bulbs in the bed with the gingers. They are some sort of paper white bulb - winter bloomers that can live happily under deciduous trees.

  • Soaked some Nigella seeds (also called Love in a Mist) and curly parsley seeds in water. Threw them down in the Star Garden.

  • Mulched lots of plants along the Boardwalk, in the Orchard, the Infinity Garden, the Kitchen Herb Garden, and the Wave Garden. That was a lot of work.

  • Fertilized the Sam Houston Peach, the Mayhaw, two of the grape vines, and a few blackberries. Fertilized with cottonseed meal that I purchased from Treeland Nursery. They have really big bags of cottonseed meal. I'm sure I could buy it from a feed store as well. I'll have to try that and see if it's cheaper. Also bought 2 Copper Canyon Daisies, two Pink Autumn Sages and three basil plants while I was there.

  • Planted the basil, 2 lemon verbena, 4 Italian flat leaf parsley, and 2 lemon thyme in the Kitchen Herb Garden.

  • Planted 4 small Indigo Spires and a Satin Marina Althea in one of my new beds. The Satin Marina Althea is one of my treasure finds! It has true blue flowers. I can't wait for it to bloom.

  • Planted another Satin Marina in the Long Border. I couldn't just buy one - they are too special!

  • Planted the 2 Pink Autumn Sages and a Dubonnet Buddleia in one of my new beds. Mulched them.

  • Planted a Limelight Hydrangea in a shady bed - also a new bed that I made a few weeks ago.

  • Sprinkled pink Laura Bush Petunia seed in some of the new beds.

  • Planted a Blue Chip Buddleia in the Long Border. Blue Chip is a miniature Buddleia, good for the middle of the border.

  • Planted 2 Catnip in the Infinity Garden for my kitty.

  • Planted 3 Italian Red Ribbed Dandelion greens in the Vegetable Garden.

  • The wisteria is beginning to bloom. It's the first time it has bloomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment