Monday, September 3, 2018

Day at the Farm September 1 - 2, 2018




Saturday evening, William and Kim's house.  Sunday, Koy's 3rd birthday party at Mark and Jere's house.  We drove to the farm after the party.
  • I did no work on Sunday beyond watering in the Rose Garden.  We have had some good rain in Houston, but none here unfortunately.
  • Monday.  It was quite humid, and I sweated buckets while I was working.  I got rid of all the bad toxins!
  • I set about working in the Greenhouse Gardens.  I trimmed Elderberry out of pathways.  I pulled zillions of weeds.  Cut away gingers leaning into the paths.  Watered in the whole area.  I raked the paths - lot of debris (leaves, twigs, acorns, etc.).  I pulled up lots of Gotu Kola that was looking really ragged.  I cut away Hojo Santo that was leaning into paths.  Threw most of it into the compost pile (those huge leaves make good greens for the compost pile).  I also laid a bunch of it down in the flower beds to rot.  Yanked up lots of horsetail reed.  I made good progress, it looks much better.
  • There was a pile of African Hostas in the Medicine Garden that had been turned up by armadillos.  I moved a bunch of them to several places to start new stands of them.  They multiple so vigorously and they are really pretty.  
  • Watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day.  Bert and I erected a scarecrow in the Rose Garden.  The deer have eaten every leaf off my roses.  It's a garden of sticks.  Maybe the scarecrow will help.  Bert pee'd on it.  I've read that deer don't like human smell, so I told Bert to pee on it.
  • I sprayed herbicide here and there in the Rose Garden, the Star Garden, the Greenhouse Gardens, and the drive way and the Vegetable Garden.
  • Deadheaded the zinnias in the Rose Garden.
  • I pulled up all the spent zinnias in the Long Border and threw the seed heads in the bed to start more flowers. 
  • Bert and I pulled up the goat wire arbor in the Vegetable Garden to get rid of the remnants of the birdhouse gourd vine.  
  • That was all.  Headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment