Sunday, September 30, 2018

Weekend at the Farm September 29 - 30, 2018

This is Shenandoah canna.

I arrived on Saturday morning, Bert drove up on Friday morning.  Rainy and grey.
  • Rainy and grey was perfect because I needed to sow my wildflower seeds.  Last week Bert mowed the section of meadow that is between the Vegetable Garden and the tree house.  I scraped the soil with my boot here and there throughout the area and liberally sprinkled Standing Cypress, Moss Verbena, and Tall Poppy Mallow then stamped it in firmly.  I had a pound of each seed, and I used the better part of all three pounds.
  • I have a pound of mixed wildflower seeds, a pound of Red Drummond Phlox, and a quarter pound of Bluebonnets that I will sow eventually.  Nathan and the boys came for the weekend, so I tried to work around their visit.
  • I also bought a quarter pound of echinacea, and I worked a bunch of it into the soil in various beds in the Orchard. 
  • Nathan and the boys arrived about 11:30.  I pushed the boys in the tree swing for a long time, we played with toys, and we walked in the rain with umbrellas.
  • Sunday morning Bert, Nathan and the boys went fishing in Carol's tank.  I pulled up a bunch of floppy zinnias and sowed parsley in the bed next to the dining room window.  And I sowed Standing Cypress in the dry beds around the center part of the Star Garden.
  • Pulled some weeds for a while and carried a Mexican sunflower to the trash pile that had toppled over.  That's about all the time I had before they returned from fishing.  They didn't catch any fish, but our friend the turtle came swimming over for a snack.
  • Right before the boys left, Bert mowed a swath through the meadow.  And after the boys left I forked away the native hay that I laid down last fall and sowed more Standing Cypress, some Red Drummond Phlox, some bluebonnets, and some Moss Verbena.
  • I sowed another couple of rows of parsnips and gold beets in the Vegetable Garden.  And I sowed some lettuce seeds.
  • I weeded for a bit in the Daffodil Bed.  My Sweetness daffodil bulbs will arrive shortly and I'm going to plant most of them in that bed and the rest in the adjacent bed.
  • I weeded for a bit in the Rose Garden.
  • Headed home to Houston about 4:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment