Friday, May 29, 2020

At the Farm During the Pandemic May 18 - 24, 2020


  • Monday.  Worked.
  • Did some weeding.
  • Picked blackberries.
  • Walked the Meadow.  It is really pretty right now.  Brown eyed Susans, Standing Cypress and Red Gaillardia are the stars of the show - really outstanding. 
  • Tuesday.  Worked.
  • I sowed a packet of Autumn Beauty sunflowers, some in the Vegetable Garden and some in the Star Garden.  I don't have a lot of space in the Vegetable Garden right now.  I'm keeping a few spaces open for okra.  And there are a few spaces with larkspur going to seed that will be available soon for okra and maybe more sunflowers.  And of course once the tomato plants are pulled up I will have even more space for okra and amaranth and sunflowers.  But all three of those plants can grow in true Texas heat, so I'm in no hurry.
  • The Nigella seed heads were mostly dried, so I pulled up a bunch of it and spread the seed throughout the Star Garden.
  • Weeded in the Dining Room bed.
  • Wednesday.  Worked.
  • Every day I look for dried seed heads of my Ox Eye daisies.  I scrape them into my hand and distribute them here there and everywhere - in the Star Garden and the Rose Garden.  Today was no exception.  
  • From my work space at the dining room table I watched the birds bathe in the bird baths.  Each morning I dump out yesterday's water and fill them with fresh water.  Doves, Painted Buntings, birds I can't identify (which I think are juveniles), cardinals, Titmouses (Titmice?) - so much fun to watch.
  • Celebrated Bert's birthday.  69 years old.  Where did the time go?
  • Thursday.  Worked.
  • Spent time cutting plants away from the paths and tying back plants in preparation for our Airbnb guests that arrive on Saturday.  Bert mowed everything on Tuesday.  Picked up personal things, put them away.  Cleared closet space, etc.  Gathered up what I want to bring home with me for the weekend. 
  • Sowed a packet of sunflower seeds in the Rose Garden, mixed variety. 
  • I walked over to the Greenhouse to check on things.  It was really dry, so then I noticed that the automatic sprinkler apparatus wasn't working.  Damn, that's crap timing since I'll be gone for the weekend.  It's always something with those timers.
  • I spread some zinnia seeds and watered them in.
  • Adjusted the times on the sprinkler system.
  • Friday - worked then headed home to Houston.
  • Saturday and Sunday and Monday - did nothing.  No one wanted to get together for Memorial Day because of Covid.


No comments:

Post a Comment