Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Lantana August 18, 2020

 I am currently in a passionate love affair with lantana.  It appears to be deer resistant (the leaves have a strong odor, slightly citrus if I had to describe it) because I have seen no evidence of them eating any of it.   I have been planting them throughout the summer.  I just planted a few more today - in this heat I think I can safely be described as an optimist, because it will be an effort to keep them alive!  The Rose Garden looks really good in the spring, but in the summer it looks pretty barren.  I have been needing to plant some perennials, and they need to be real heat lovers as well as fairly drought tolerant.  Lantanas check those boxes.  There are a lot more varieties now than there used to be:  pink-yellow, red, white-yellow, pale yellow, orange-red.  I have some Henry Duelberg salvias in the Rose Garden that are doing very well.  I sowed those from seed and transplants from other gardens.  And I have also been planting Mexican Sedum (I love the bright yellow foliage) as a drought tolerant ground cover.  I'd say that the Rose Garden in August looks better that it ever has.  This has been made possible because I am living here and so I can drag sprinklers around every day rather once a week.










      

No comments:

Post a Comment