Friday, November 6, 2020

Blue Mist and White Mist Flower November 6, 2020

 I planted this variety of Blue Mist Flower last year.  It was very mannerly last year.  Now it is a monster, and last year it either set seed or tip rooted, I'm not sure which or maybe it was both.  This winter I will move some to other places.  It seems to like that sweet spot at the edge of shade where it gets some morning sun.  Actually, that would be a good spot to plant a hydrangea that I'm planning to relocate this winter.  The flowers are lacier than those of the white mist flower, and it has no scent.  The white mist flower has a very strong scent.  It's not unpleasant , but it's also not pleasant.  The insects absolutely love the scent apparently, because it gets more visitors by far.  Mist Flower (there are several varieties) is a reliable fall bloomer.  I really like it.  I have white mist flower growing in 3 places in the Star Garden.  You just can hardly believe the insect activity on mist flower.  So entertaining. 




In the photo below you can see the enormous size of blue mist.  I won't allow it to get this big next year.  I wasn't sure if I cut it back whether I would be cutting away the fall flowers, but now I don't care - it must be tamed! 






No comments:

Post a Comment