Saturday, November 21, 2020

Striking Castor Plant November 21, 2020

 This is a true old fashioned plant and very dramatic-looking.  This stand of castor is growing behind my Vegetable Garden.  It comes up from seed every spring.  I haven't purposely planted it since the first year I grew it.  The spiny red balls become a cluster of seeds.  They drop to the ground and there you have it.  Next spring a whole new stand of castor.  All parts of the castor plant are extremely poisonous (which is interesting since castor oil is made from castor).  As a vole deterrent, I have recently begun to plant seeds around the little plants I plant in the Rose Garden.  They eat the roots as they try to get to the roots of my good plants - and they die (at least that's what I hope is happening). I think it is helping save some of my plants, but I need more time to see if my plan is really working.  I know that vole and mole repellent is made from castor, so I think I'm on to something.  And obviously, I have a lot of castor, so I'm set as far as repellent goes!







No comments:

Post a Comment