Thursday, March 25, 2021

At the Farm During the Pandemic March 20 - 25, 2021

 

Spiderwort - I have several varieties in my garden and a wild one in my Meadow - are just about to begin their bloom season.  The flowers are a true blue, so rare in nature.

  • Arrived Saturday afternoon.  Josh and the girls were already here for a visit.  We did the zip line for a long time.  Took a long walk in the woods.  They spent the night.  Blake and kids came up on Sunday for a visit.  More zip line fun and walks in the woods.
  • After everyone left around 2:00 I spent some time laying down decomposed granite (DG) in Mom's garden.  It's coming right along.  The Black eyed Susan alba vine is beginning to come up.  I ordered a bench for her garden, but the delivery was late, so we had to leave Houston without it.  One of the neighbors will have to drag it into their garage which I feel bad about.  None of them are exactly spring chickens, but then neither are we. 
  • I added some of my compost to two places in the Vegetable Garden and sowed Luffa seeds in one spot and Leelanau Sweetglo (orange) watermelon seeds in the other spot.  Josh got me the watermelon seeds from the Baker Heirloom site.  He is so sweet!
  • Watered my pots in the Star Garden and the Vegetable Garden.
  • Dinner at Jeff and Amy's.
  • Monday.  Worked.
  • I did a little work in the Kitchen Herb Garden weeding, and then I laid down the pine straw that I pulled off the beds in the Vegetable Garden a week or so ago.  I planted a gold oregano.
  • I laid down more DG in my mom's garden.
  • Watered in the beds on the other side of the Greenhouse. 
  • I potted up a Pink Pop agastache and put it in the Star Garden.  The pot is too small, but it's bigger than the one I bought it in.  
  • Weeded here and there. 
  • Pulled up Four O'Clock seedlings in the Sassafras bed.
  • After work I did some more watering.
  • I put on the leather rose gloves and cut my Fortune's Double down to the ground. All the canes were dead from the freeze.  Fortune's Double is a climber and my most stickery rose.  One of the thorns went right through the glove and got me good in the thumb.  Thorn sticks are so painful for several days afterwards - I don't know why.  I can see it coming up from the ground, so it's not dead.  But no blooms this year - this is a once-blooming rose.
  • Tuesday.  Worked.
  • We had a good rain last night, good for my Meadow.
  • Amy Thomeson gave me a Sand Sunflower Sunday evening, and I planted it in the Meadow.
  • Pulled weeds here and there.
  • During lunch I sprayed herbicide in the Orchard, the pool area, the Medicine Garden, the Greenhouse Gardens, the Rose Garden, the Star Garden, the Vegetable Garden, and along some fence lines so that Bert won't have to edge.
  • Everything looks so pretty.  And it's all so close to bloom time.
  • I planted a bronze fennel in a pot in the Star Garden.  I have lots of fennel seeds coming up in another pot in the Star Garden.  I just love it, and it is so much fun to watch the caterpillars munching away on it.
  • I planted 3 more bronze fennel in the Star Garden.  
  • Pulled lots of weeds in the Star Garden.
  • Wednesday.  Together, Bert and I cut back my Bay Laurel tree and two of my banana shrubs.  The Bay is coming up from the ground.  I haven't seen any life in the banana shrubs, but I'm hopeful.
  • I finally cut all the caster dead wood down that was standing behind the Vegetable Garden like skeletons.
  • The grape vine growing along the back Vegetable Garden fence looks like a female to me. It didn't produce any grapes last year, so I'm giving it another chance to determine if it is male or female.  I compared it to the vine growing on the neighbors' fence (which has grapes that I pick every year to make jelly), and it looks the same - little reddish nodes / flowers - I think.  
  • I cut down my little Senna tree.  Maybe it will come up from the roots, but I find them to be very short-lived anyway, so perhaps it's totally dead.
  • I sowed some Pippin's Golden Honey pepper seeds that Josh got me.  We have such a long hot season here that I decided to try my luck even though it's almost April.  I already have two pepper plants and they are 6 -7 inches tall already.  On the other hand, I can see that the Tabasco pepper plant from last year dropped a ton of seed, and it is just now sprouting.  I will have a lot of peppers this year!
  • I finished laying down DG in Mom's garden.  The garden is done except for putting in the bench.
  • I went down to the Orchard and weeded for a long time.  
  • I put a little sedum in a pot in the Medicine Garden.
  • Anne Thames dropped by for a short visit.  She has a native plant nursery nearby.  I walked her through the gardens, it is so rewarding to talk to knowledgeable people about gardening.  
  • I sowed some Painted Lady runner bean seeds on the front arbor.  The Pam Puryear honeysuckle is really taking off this year. 
  • I sowed some more French marigold seeds in the Vegetable Garden.
  • I added some of my compost to several places in the Vegetable Garden along the fence line and sowed more Luffa seeds.
  • Bert and I walked all the gardens in the early evening.  We love this place so much.
  • Lettuce from the garden for our salad.
  • Thursday.  Worked.
  • Drove to Houston after work.  Airbnb people arrive on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment