Thursday, April 1, 2021

Quick Trip to the Farm March 31 - April 1, 2021

 

Pretty Red Buckeye flower.

Wednesday.  Arrived during the lunch hour and worked the rest of the day.  One Airbnb group left on Wednesday and the next arrives on Friday.  We are getting pretty burnt out on it and have closed off the remaining open weekends in the spring and summer.  Especially with my return to work full time, we have lost all our flexibility.

After work I planted 8 Mojito Colocasia along the Boardwalk.  I prepped the soil, which is really clayish, with lots leaf mold compost and peat moss.  Mojito Colocasias want rich soil or they will disappear after about the third season.  

The Boardwalk Gardens need lots of work / attention.  They need a good thick layer of compost.  Those beds are wide and very, very long, all the way down the hill - maybe 200 feet on either side of the Boardwalk.  And the Boardwalk itself needs attention, some boards need to be replaced.  Add it to the list!

Still no sign of life in my 3 banana shrubs or my Harlequin Glorybower.  I won't miss my Harlequin Glorybower.  The flowers were never very showy and, due to being a short-lived small tree / large shrub, it was going downhill each year.  I would have gotten rid of it already, but it is a lot to deal with to cut it down and dispose of it.  I won't put in anything that large when I get around to replacing it because it blocks the view into the Star Garden.  The butterflies did love the flowers, though.  I see I have a seedling in that bed, and perhaps I will dig it up and plant it somewhere.

The mustang grape vine on the Vegetable Garden fence is definitely a female.  I love the idea of a grape vine growing there where I can easily pick my own grapes for jelly-making, and it so easy to reach.  No more climbing on ladders to reach grapes.  I have a feeling the new neighbors will tear down the grape vine growing on their fence (because they have a lot of money) in order to build a fancy entrance.  That was my go-to grape vine in the past for grape picking.

I noticed one of those thrilling step changes in growth in all the gardens when we arrived.  We had been gone since Thursday of last week, and everything is up several inches.  The Ox Eye daisies and Giant Rudbeckia and poppies are in bud.  Some of the roses look very healthy.  Others are still puny.  I am still surprised how impacted the roses were by the big freeze in February.  They didn't die, but most of the roses are not coming back on the existing canes, they are coming up from the ground. 

Thursday.  Up at 4:30, headache and couldn't sleep.  Waited for day light so I could beat the breeze and spray some herbicide on paths.  

Sprayed herbicide in the Star Garden.

Watered all the pots around the pool and in the Medicine Garden.

I cut away flowers in the Vegetable Garden that were encroaching on vegetables.

I planted 200 Candida rain lilies in Mom's Garden.

Watered all the pots in the Star Garden.

Watered the dry parts of Mom's Garden.  

Moved the sprinklers in the Greenhouse Garden.

Sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden.

I went down to the Orchard to water the new peach tree and the fig.  The fig is completely dead all the way to ground level!  I can't believe it.  Heartbreak.  I can see it is coming up from the roots, and I think it is not grafted - I will have look closer but I was too sad to do it.  So many times I thought - I should go down to the Orchard and water the fig tree - and I didn't do it.

Headed home to Houston.

I made asparagus soup from the asparagus in our garden.  Very delicious and easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment