Friday, September 22, 2023

Some Flowers Blooming Now September 22, 2023

 These are Oxblood lilies that have popped up with the encouragement of the recent rain storm.

This is ageratum, always around at this time of year.  I often pull tons of it up to make room for wildflowers, but with the wedding coming soon, I need some color.
This is a flower from my White Pillar Althea.  This althea stays slender like a pillar which can be handy for skinny spots in the garden.  It's a good bloomer, although not as good as Strawberry Smoothie. 
This is Perl d'Or rose with some Passalong Pink verbena clambering up through its branches.
This is a vivid red zinnia that really caught my eye growing next to the ubiquitous ageratum.

Here is a random little Cosmos that popped up.  With as many seed as I have spread this year, that better be only the beginning - my Cosmos experiment was a resounding failure.
Double pink althea bloom and buds.
This is the double pink althea shrub.  Not as showy as any of the white forms.  It occurs to me that I should prune it back this winter so that it will get bushier.  I will add it to my to-do list.
These are bargain bin cannas from Home Depot.  But they are very reliable bloomers.  I can always count on a pop of color in the garden from these beauties.
This is yellow butterfly vine.  A deciduous perennial.  The seed pods are what give it its name.  They look exactly like a butterfly.  Really charming!  And you will see the vine pop up here and there from seed, but it's not often enough to be problematic.  It's good to have some to share.
This is a butterfly vine bloom.  The vine is already blooming at the top, and I am happy to see lots of buds down low on the trellis.  It will have lots of pretty blooms for the wedding.

I just love my cockscomb!
Ageratum and Pringle Aster.  The Pringle aster has not performed well this year.  Probably drought conditions, weather is everything.
This is Heliopsis getting a second wind after I cut it back.  Its big bloom time is early summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment