Sunday, November 26, 2023

Thanksgiving at the Farm November 23 - 26, 2023

 


This is pretty Perl d'Or rose.

Thanksgiving with Bert and I, Mom, Dad, Nancy, Lisa, Will and family, Nathan and family, Max and family and Sarah and Burke.  Cool and cloudy, but that's okay.

Friday Mom, Dad, Nancy and Lisa and I drove to Madisonville for Phillips wedding but we had the wrong day!  It was Saturday!  Not sure how we could have made that mistake, but we laughed about it.  Visited with Sallie for a bit.  We did not return the next day for the wedding.  

Saturday.  I was by myself with Bailey and Sadie for my only company.  I did a bit of watering.  I dug the hole for Oliver's Texas Red Oak tree, but I didn't get it planted.  I poured many gallons of water into the hole.  It's a very big tree, and I will need some help.

I watered Zelda's tree and the Witch Hazels.

I gathered Velvet Leaf Senna seed and potted some up.  That will be a good native to give away to members.

I dug up a clump of cannas and moved them not too far away, in a spot that was not so close to the althea and path.

Sprayed herbicide on the tall grass that wants to grow in my Daffodil Border.  The daffodils have not begun to emerge yet, so now is the time despite the cold weather.

I dug up and discarded some more clumps of Henry Duehlberg salvia in the Star Garden. Too much of a good thing.

But for the most part the day was spent relaxing and enjoying the cool weather.  I took walks with the dogs, and I walked the gardens over and over.

Sunday.  Bert arrived from his hunting trip and stayed briefly to clean the pool.  He helped me plant a Texas Red Oak that I got at the plant swap.

I weeded in the Orchard.  I am very happy with the performance of the Wolfberry shrubs that I planted.  They have lots of red berries on them right now and seem to be thriving despite the terrible hot and dry conditions we had last summer.  I will plant more next spring. They have powerful anti-oxidents, vitamins C, K, and E as well as potassium, magnesium and iron.  So, they are pretty useful.  They aren't delicious, but they aren't terrible.

I sowed some native persimmon seeds that I got at the native plant swap.  I sowed them in the Rose Edge Border and the wild corner of the Rose Garden.

I pushed some Burr Oak acorns into the soil in the Medicine Garden.  I got them from Connie Gwyn.

Spread Frostweed seed all over the wild part of the Star Garden.

Headed home about 3:00.  What a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment