Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Weekend at the Farm November 10 - 12, 2023

 

True Sincerity rose.

I took Friday as vacation and arrived about 9:00.  The weather was cool and drizzly.  We had a pretty good rain the day before, so I am happy about that.  And also, I don't have to be desperately dragging around hoses to keep things alive.  Thank goodness for fall.  

Bert dragged a heavy scraper thing in several places around the Meadow.  It flattened and pulled up debris and roughed up the soil.  I sowed a pound each of bluebonnets, black eyed Susans, Mexican Hat and Red Wave Coreopsis.

I went by Debra and Rays to pick up my plants that I collected at the Native Plant swap several weekends ago.  I was one of the winners of the contest for having the most plastic pots (which were donated to a native plant grower), and I won a Texas Red Oak.  The tree was also at Ray and Debs, and Ray helped me get it over here to my place. It is a really big tree, very nice.  

I pulled up ageratum which was spent and doing nothing but distributing seed everywhere.  I dumped it at the low end of the Meadow where it tends to be a little more wet.  It is a native blue mist flower.  

I also dug up a lot of Henry Duelberg and dumped it in a low spot.  Still lots more to do on that.  It's one of those situations where I looked up one day and noticed that it was everywhere, taking over all my garden space.

Saturday.  No need to get out early since the weather is so cool. 

I planted a Roughleaf Dogwood in the Circle Drive beds.  And I planted a Mexican Bird of Paradise in the Hot Border.  I got both of those from the plant swap. 

Cooked, did a bit of weeding.

Sunday.  I spent the whole day in the Orchard.  It's a disaster down there.  So much clearing needs to be done. I pulled up weeds and crab grass, dead zinnias, a little white-seed-head grass that loves it in there,  I pulled up ageratum, put ant poison down, raked.  I spread Texas Orange Lantana seed in the Meadow.  Every effort is an improvement, but it still needs a lot of work in there.

I planted 3 parsley in the Kitchen Herb Garden. 

Headed home about 3:00. 



No comments:

Post a Comment