Sunday, August 25, 2024

Time at the Farm August 21-25, 2024

 The Texas Onion in the Rose Garden looked pretty today. It has partially gone to seed, but still pretty.






I worked on Wednesday, and throughout the  morning I watered the Rose Garden.  

I pulled weeds in the Star Garden.  There is an area where I have a bit of a jungle.  The paths are completely covered up by Texas Vervain and wild ageratum.  I began clearing that area.

I pulled up some spent zinnias and sowed some more.  Watered them in.  I'm going to be here for possibly 5 days, so this is a good time to work on seeding because I can water them every day.

I collected some seeds from my Alamo vine to soak overnight.  Only 4 of the seeds I sowed last week came up.  Maybe I should be patient, but  just in case, I'm going to sow some more.

Thursday.  Sowed my Alamo vine seeds.  After work I spent time in the Star Garden.  I pulled up another patch of zinnias and sowed more seed.  Watered them in.  Weeded and watered.  

Friday.  After work, I worked outside until dark.  I cleaned out one of the front beds.  I planted some of the Passalong Pink verbena that I pulled up.  I trimmed back all the verbena inside the fence.  Weeded.  I cut back the Indigo Spires in that bed. 

I worked in the Water Garden for a long while.  It had really gone to weeds in one particular spot.  I pulled up all the weeds, had to use a tool because they were so big!  Cut back the Augusta Duelberg salvia.  Watered everything.  Cleared everything from around the white sage and Texas Kidneywood.  Cut away Sweet Autumn Clematis from the white althea.  Job well done.  

Saturday.  NPSOT had a lecture at the Brenham Library.  Lauren Simpson, Creating a Pollinator Paradise.  I baked muffins, coffeecake and brought little chicken salad sandwiches , tea and coffee. 

Lunch with some of the group then home for a nap.

I worked until dark weeding and watering in the Rose Garden.

Sunday.  I sprayed herbicide in the Orchard, Star and Rose gardens.

I took my oil can of herbicide and spent time in the Orchard cutting those grasses that grow by stolons and putting a drip of poison on the cuts.  Hoping the underground stuff dies.  That is a real problem down there.  It's in several beds.  

I pulled weeds in the corner of the Orchard.

I worked in the Star Garden cutting down Four O'Clocks and poisoning the tip.  I'd like to get rid of that problem for good.

Bert mowed the Daffodil Border and the Rose Edge Border.  That looks tons better.   

Deadheaded Texas Vervain. 

Headed home about noon so I have plenty of time to bathe those stinky dogs.  



No comments:

Post a Comment