Sunday, August 4, 2024

Weekend at the Farm August 2 - 4, 2024

 



The Sweet Autumn Clematis in the Orchard is loaded with buds.  It smells wonderfully sweet.

On Friday I cut back the yellow lantana by the pool.  It loves where it's planted, it always looks beautiful.  But if I don't cut it back, it spreads across the pool deck and blocks the pathway.  

I did some deadheading on the Texas Vervain in the Star Garden.  

I started clearing out the Vegetable Garden.  It's choked with weeds again, but these summer weeds are easy to pull up, you can grab them by the handfuls and they will come up with the roots.  So it's quick work.  I cleared out the tall middle bed so that I can put down some plastic sheeting and put my plant sale plants there.  

I set up a little station under the arbor with a wheelbarrow of potting soil, my watering can, fertilizer, and one gallon pots.  I repotted a bunch of plants from four inch pots into gallon pots.  These are for the plant sale in October.  I fertilized all the plants for the sale with mycorrhizal fungi fertilizer.    I pulled them all out from under the arbor in the Vegetable Garden to look at them, fertilize them and prune them.  Job well done, I feel good about that because it was a bit of work.  I stayed outside until about 8:30 working.

Saturday.  Up early.

I went out to the Orchard to pick Muscadine grapes.  I got about a third of what I need to make jelly.  I will go out again tomorrow morning and pick some more.  And then next weekend, one more round of picking should get me enough to make jelly.  I haven't made Muscadine jelly in years.  But I was determined to do it this year.  They come ripe in August, and it's so hot in August that it's hard to get motivated to get out there and pick.  But this is a great summer.  I don't think we have had a 100 degree day so far.  

While I was down there I weeded the areas where I mulched over the last month.  I don't want to lose all that work, so I am keeping up with it as best I can.  I cleared out a few other areas, but unfortunately I don't have any mulch.  I don't like to clear out problem areas without being about to mulch afterwards.  I will check to see if my pine trees have begun to shed their needles.  That's great mulch.   

Next, I did some more weeding in the Vegetable Garden.  I picked peppers and cleared away weeds from my producing vegetables.  Right now I have eggplant and peppers in the garden.  

I laid plastic down on the middle bed of the Vegetable Garden and began moving my sale plants to sit on top of the plastic.  I'm not sure if that will be too much sun.  But, I will keep an eye on them.  I moved the shade plants back under the arbor in the Vegetable Garden.

Inside for the NPSOT quarterly Zoom meeting from 1:00 to 5:00 - very tedious.

I went back outside and worked until about 8:30.  I cleared basket grass out of beds in the Medicine Garden.  It was a creepy exercise since I'm deep into the beds in the early evening - that's snake time of day.  Cleared away weeds that were crowding my new dogwood tree.  I cut back a couple of Henna plants.  I pulled up some Hojo Santo that was spring up in the wrong place.  And I pulled up a bunch of elderberry.  Potted up several elderberry for the plant sale. 

Sunday.  Down to the Orchard to pick more grapes.  I did some weeding while I was down there.  There are only 3 bad places left to clear out down there.  I worked on several of them.  Sprayed vinegar on weeds growing in paths.  

Next, out to the Rose Garden to water and weed.  I also deadheaded my Texas Vervain and staked it in several places.  Sprayed vinegar herbicide in paths.  Thinned my zinnia seedlings. 

Pulled weeds for a bit in the Vegetable Garden. 

I cleared weeds out of my Mangaves around the pool.  I jumped in the pool to cool off, I don't do that very often.  

Cleaned up my tools and headed home. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment