Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 06/05-06/10

A beautiful morning.

It's really getting hot!
  • Max spent the night and helped me build a large flowerbed around a tree this morning. It's about 10x10. It would have been a huge chore without him. Together we finished it in about 3 hours. I plan to plant some more bulbs. Love them!
  • Swam in the pool and listened to old-time country music on the satellite radio.
  • Deadheaded my roses.
  • Watched the butterflies.
  • Planted 10 packages of zinnias on Saturday. (Some of the places I planted zinnias last week are not going to sprout, I think. Not getting a good enough soak with the sprinkler, not worth readjusting everything.) Sunday morning I saw that 3 of the areas in which I planted seeds had been dug up by armadillos. That's why I plant so many.
  • Fertilized my gingers and lots and lots of other things with my recycled water (water I capture in my rain barrels) and fish emulsion.
  • Picked some eggplants and fried them in bread crumbs for lunch. Also made a tomato, olive, caper, Parmesan salad with the grape tomatoes in the garden.
  • Turned the compost pile.
  • Cleaned the birdbaths.
  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.
  • Staked some plants.
  • Watered the fruit trees and the shrubs by the Greenhouse.
  • Harvested parsnips, tomatoes, and carrots.
  • Sowed okra seeds.
  • Sprayed herbicide on all the paths in the Rose Garden, the Infinity Garden, the Shade Garden, around the pool, and the driveway.
  • Smelled the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment