Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What's Blooming Now - Striped Beauty Canna 06/02/10


I planted these Striped Beauty Cannas around the pool this spring. Cannas spread, some think they spread aggressively, but that's ok with me. I have plenty of room here, and eventually I can dig some up and move them to other spots. The lower flowers wilt and die first. The flowers remind me of ladies dressed in ball gowns that have dragged the train of their dresses in the water. The leaves of this beautiful canna are variegated stripes.
I'm lucky the leaves look so good! Canna vegetation is the larval food source for the Brazilian Skipper butterfly. Unfortunately, the Brazilian Skipper isn't very pretty. He is a brown little fellow. And he can make quick work of a canna turning it from a tropical treasure to a natty-looking plant. But all butterflies are good butterflies, so I will let nature take its course.
Canna also seem to be very tasty to deer. I had some buds on some cannas in my Long Border, and they were eaten completely off. Canna buds are really big, about six inches long or more. So that was quite a deer snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment