Monday, September 6, 2010

A Day at the Farm 09/05-06/10

This is passionflower vine. Passiflora incarnata

Saturday shopped for wedding dresses with Blake and Mom. Saturday night went to Max's football game. Sunday to the farm.

  • Planted some dill seeds in the Vegetable Garden. I love dill. Dill doesn't like the heat so fall is the time to plant it.
  • Planted cilantro seeds in the Herb Garden. I've never planted it from seed. The seeds are kind of large and hard so I soaked them in water for a few hours before I planted them. Then I laid chicken wire over the top of the space where I planted the seeds and staked it down. Let's see the armadillos dig THAT up!
  • I was going to cover my Candida rain lilies with chicken wire, but I knew I was going to have to replant them first - armadillo damage. There were so many - hundreds - that I decided to thin them out. That left me with hundreds to find spots for. I planted some in the Rose Garden. I planted some in the Greenhouse Garden (first I had to turn the soil over and mix in my wonderful compost that I have been very patiently rotting for a year). I planted some in the Circle Drive Garden which was a chore. The ground really needed to be prepared, it was hard. I added compost there as well. I laid chicken wire over the area because the armadillos are really fond of the Circle Drive - lots of plump grub worms I guess. I also planted some in the flowerbed next to the Vegetable Garden and covered the area with chicken wire. Chicken wire is not pretty, but they can't dig through it. The entire effort was a very time-consuming process.
  • Deadheaded in the Rose Garden
  • Cut back the Veronica Speedwell in the Star Garden.
  • Cut back Snow Nymph Salvia in the Star Garden.
  • Pulled up some overgrown zinnias to make room for seedlings.
  • Cleaned the ceiling fans and swept.
  • It rained hard Monday afternoon. I sat on the front porch in the rocker, drank coffee and Baileys and watched the rain fall.
  • Took a walk around the place.
  • Put out a salt lick for the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment