Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Long Weekend at the Farm 09/17 - 19/10


Took Monday as vacation. Max was in Oklahoma for one of his official school visits. Bert's mom came and spent a night with us. Overcast the whole time, fine with me!

  • Made red beans and rice (used bell pepper from the garden) and bread pudding with whiskey sauce.
  • Decided to go rabbit hunting so I can make one of Paul Prudhomme's rabbit recipes. I'm in a Cajun phase. In my (limited) experience, rabbits seem to be sitting ducks. They make a little run, but then their survival instincts makes them freeze so they won't be noticed. They seem to be pretty easy to shoot. My husband and I walked around the property looking for rabbits (we were vewy, vewy quiet) . I spotted one in the woods about 20 yards off the path. My husband shot it and skinned it. I didn't watch the skinning part. Yuck!


  • Raked the Rose Garden. Trimmed away rose shrubs that were crowding the path. Sprayed herbicide in the paths. Treated a few roses with a systemic insecticide. Pulled up ratty looking Laura Bush petunias. Deadheaded. Attached my new plant labels to all the roses.


  • Attached plant labels to signs in the Shade Garden.


  • Cut back salvia in the Star Garden. Cut back verbena bonariensis in the Star Garden. Cut back Turnera in the Star Garden. Three armloads of debris.


  • Turned the earth over in several several boxes in the Vegetable Garde. Added compost , chicken fertilizer, and grapefruit peel. Sowed spinach and beet seeds.


  • Cleaned up the Wave Garden. That's my grass garden. Once spring is here there are definitely changes I want to make. First of all, it's way too crowded. Secondly, even though I was very careful about layering the plants according to height, there are several that are shorter than the ones in front of them. And there is one that is HUGE, and not only is he huge, he has the audacity to be really ugly. I'm going to dig him up and throw him out.


  • Thought of several projects I want to tackle. I'm going to re-shape the bed around the pool so I can move some rocks. I have never used that small section of bed around the pool because my soaker hose isn't long enough. I'm going to use those rocks to extend the Bulb Garden in front of the shed. My husband expanded the shed a few months ago so I'm going to expand the Bulb Garden. The shed is built on a slope and the green landscaping strips I am currently using don't look good. I'm going to use the rocks because they can be built up higher where the land slopes. I still have some soil from the last load of soil I had delivered. I want to get rid of it so that I can buy some mulch. It's time to mulch before winter sets in. Gardens should be mulched twice a year. I haven't mulched yet this year. Not good. The other project is to use the cedar logs that the landscapers pulled up in the Orchard and use then to make another bed in the Wave Garden. When I move plants from the Wave Garden in the spring, I can re-plant them in the new bed. I want the beds in the Wave Garden to guide a walker to the Rose Garden. A path will be created between the beds.


  • Monday I lined out the new beds and we asked the landscaper to use his front end loader to fill the beds. He obliged. That saved me hours and hours of work! My two projects are finished!


  • Cleaned up the Bulb Garden - cut away dead leaves, smoothed out all the soil because the armadillos had turned it all upside down, re-planted all the bulbs they dug up (I HATE ARMADILLOS~!!!!), and laid down chicken wire across the top of most of it.
  • Planted 50 Muscari comosum plumosum bulbs (also called Feather Hyacinth) that I got for an early birthday present.




No comments:

Post a Comment