Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Day at the Farm January 20, 2013

This is the first sweetie of the season.  This bulb was dug up from the yard of the deserted house that I am so fascinated by.  My husband dug it up last January, and I planted it in one of my flowerbeds.  I am wondering if it is a Grand Primo because of the sweet little yellow cups.  I guess I will never know.

  • Arrived at the farm on Saturday evening.  My mother in law came with me.
  • Dug up the Fringe Tree and planted it in a sunnier spot in the back yard.  I was going to plant it in the back yard in a different spot, but when I dug the hole I ran into a rock.  I tried to uproot the rock by digging around it.  I dug and dug and dug trying the find the end of the rock.  I tried to wedge the shovel under the rock.  No way was this rock going to to beat me!  I had quite a ditch dug through the yard trying to find the end of this massive rock.  Then I realized the rock was the septic tank.  A rock might not be able to beat me but a septic tank will win every time.  Needless to say, I planted the tree in another spot.
  • I pulled my Clementine Honey Mandarin tree out of a pot and planted it in the Blueberry bed in the Orchard.  
  • I dug up a Brightwell Blueberry and planted it in the pot from which I pulled the orange tree.  I'm hoping that I can control the acidity of the soil if the Blueberries are in pots.  They aren't thriving at all in the ground.  There are two more Blueberry shrubs that I'm going to dig up and plant in pots.
  • Mulched my Lady Hillingdon and Living Easy roses.
  • Mulched one of my George Tabor azaleas in the Shade Garden.
  • Pruned my Muscadine Grape Vines.
  • Pruned my Eversweet Pomegranate.
  • Pruned the apple trees.
  • Cut away dead debris of Tuber Vervain in a flowerbed in the Orchard so that the larkspur seedlings underneath can get some sun.
  • The neighboring rancher's cows came through the barbed wire fence and wandered around our place for awhile.  My husband repaired the fence.  And I gathered all the manure they left behind and put it in my compost pile.
  • I added one wheelbarrow of soil to the flowerbed that I expanded last weekend.  But that's all I had the strength to do.
  • I cut away all the dead debris of the asparagus in the Vegetable Garden and covered both raised beds with compost.  I turned the soil in one of the raised beds that has nothing growing in it (in preparation for spring planting).  Raked up fallen leaves.
  • Listened to the birds singing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment