Monday, January 28, 2013

Expanding - Now and Later

I added these two beds - one last weekend and one this weekend.  These beds get filtered sunlight.  I'm planning to plant Aesculus Parviflora Serotina (Late Blooming Bottlebrush Buckeyes) and Spigelia Marilandica (Indian Pink) in these beds.  And I will bring some gingers from my home in Houston.  Winter is the best time to order plants on line because they are dormant.  They can withstand the travel better and they don't get so hot in the boxes.
The big project I plan to begin at the end of winter / early spring is to extend the gardens around my cute little Greenhouse.  We've lost so many trees due to the drought that the area around the Greenhouse is becoming pretty sunny.  I'm going to make a path that circles the Greenhouse with beds along the path and extending out on either side of the Greenhouse and behind it.  $350 of crushed granite for the paths, $200 of landscaping strips, $300 of dirt, and $20 of new hose and water set-up should get it built.  That's $870 - let's call it $900.  All that money, and I'm doing all the labor myself plus I will not have put a single plant in the ground!  Expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment