Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend at the Farm March 15 - 17, 2013

Busy, enjoyable weekend, but ended on a scary note.  My husband was cutting down dead trees in the woods near the house.  A tree fell across some yaupons and pinned them down to the ground.  When he started cutting up the tree, one of the yaupons was freed.  It swung up and whacked him hard in the face.  Eight stitches between his eyes and one cat scan later, we left the hospital.  He has two black eyes and a big ugly Frankenhead.

  • I fed the bees some sugar water.  I ran the weed eater around the hive and mowed  around the hive as well.  By the time I did all that they were good and pissed off.  I was stung twice on my thigh.  I've never been stung since the day I picked them up, three years ago.  I didn't like it.  
  • I planted two clumps of Rudbeckia that I dug up from the garden in Houston.  I planted them in the new section of flowerbed I made in front of the La Marne rose hedge.
  • Fertilized the asparagus.  They are already popping up, not quickly enough yet to make a meal, so I just break them off and eat them raw.
  • Planted a tomato that I got for free at Buchanan's when I purchased four French Marigolds.
  • Turned over the last raised bed in the Vegetable Garden and planted the four French Marigolds and the tomato.  I put a goat wire arbor over the bed and planted a row of gourd seeds. Hopefully by the time the gourd vines cover the arbor, the tomato will be done.  No more room in the garden to plant my little tomato plant, no more room at the inn.
  • Painted the lower half of the barn.  It wasn't too bad, but it needed a little freshening up.  I also finished painting the picket fence around the air conditioning unit and painted the gate leading into the Vegetable Garden.  Ran out of green paint.  Need more!  I like to paint outside stuff because you can slop it around and it doesn't matter.
  • Fertilized the easy Ned Daylilies.
  • Sowed some Cup and Saucer vine seeds around the dead oak tree in the Rose Garden.  No matter which way it falls it will ruin something, so we aren't going to cut it down.  We'll let if fall apart gradually.  But in the mean time, I'm growing a flowering annual vine on the trunk.  I will hang some chicken wire around the trunk so the vine can climb.  I've never grown Cup and Saucer vine, hope it does well.
  • Soaked some parsley seeds in water overnight and sowed them next to the La Marne hedge.
  • Watered here and there.  
  • We had an inch in the rain gauge when we arrived on Thursday evening, but the cistern was only half full - leaves blocking the rain spout leading into the cistern.  Lost opportunity. 
  • Finished cutting away dead debris around the pool.  Watered the Harlequin Glorybower that I planted there last weekend. 
  • Weeded in the Orchard.
  • Shredded leaves and mulched in the Orchard and the Star Garden.
  • Transplanted three autumn sages - one red and two pink ones that had rooted off the mother plants.  I planted one in the Star Garden and two in Max's Garden.
  • Sprayed fungicide on the roses - heading off blackspot before it starts.
  • My husband and I looked at the stars for a long time on Friday night.
  • Fertilized the camellias in the Circle Drive.
  • Watered the Turk's Cap that I transplanted last weekend.  Turk's Cap does not seem to transplant well.  It's really looking weak.  I'm surprised.  It's so hardy that I assumed it would be a rock star when it was moved around.
  • I'm so amazed at the spring.  It fills me with such a good feeling.  I know I will see my sister again.  It won't be in this life, but it will absolutely be in the other.     

No comments:

Post a Comment