Monday, March 11, 2013

Rolf Fiedler Star Flowers March 9, 2013

Rolf Fiedler bulbs common name is Star Flower. They are actually Ipheions.  I like the name ipheion because it sounds like the cowboy song yippee kayay.  This particular variety of ipheion has been really good for me.  It is a vigorous multiplier.  The blue flowers are extremely vivid.  They have a long bloom period.  They are a good shoes and socks plant.  (They aren't a good front of the border plant, though, because as soon as it gets hot they go dormant - then you're left with a big blank spot.)  I love these little bulbs.  I'm thinking about trying another variety this fall, maybe a pink flowering variety.  I read that their bloom time coincides with hoop petticoat daffodils  (bulbocodium conspicuus) so I planted some of those at the same time as my Rolf Fielders. But they haven't done nearly as well.  They haven't multiplied well, and they don't bloom well.

I have Rolf Fielders growing under 5 La Marne roses and in several places in the Rose Garden.  After they finish blooming this spring I'm going to divide some of the clumps and plant bulbs in other gardens around the place.  









No comments:

Post a Comment