Sunday, September 29, 2013

Big Leaves September 29, 2013

I love plants with big leaves.  Elephant ears, gingers, ligularias, and rudbeckia maxima are all examples that can be found in my gardens.  Below are two more examples that are new additions to my gardens as of last fall.

 The photographs above and below are Clerodendrun bungeii, known commonly as Mexicali Rose.  It spreads vigorously, stands about two feet tall, and is root hardy.  It has the added plus of blooming pink flowers which I have yet to see, so I assume this plant is a spring bloomer.  I had only one tiny sprig of it this spring, all the ground it has gained has happened over the summer.  There have been no blooms this fall, so it must be a spring bloomer that was too tiny for any blooming in early spring.  I could google it, but my own deductions are more fun.

 The photograph above and those below are all of Hojo Santo, also known as Sacred Leaf or Rootbeer Plant.  I bought this plant a couple of months ago.  It likes some shade as does Mexicali Rose.  It also spreads vigorously and gets very tall.  Hojo Santo is used in Mexican cooking as a wrap.  Its distinctive rootbeer flavor, or anise flavor imparts a strong flavor to soups and other dishes.  I also have a plant in the Medicine Garden.  I expect both of them to become very imposing by next spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment