Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Weekend at the Farm August 31 - September 2, 2013

Spent Saturday night in Austin visiting Will, Kim, and Zellie.  They had a get together with two other couples.  All three women are pregnant, about to have babies within the next few weeks of each other.  It was a pretty fertile scene.  Headed home on Sunday.

  • Trimmed plants in the Star Garden that were flopping over into the paths.
  • I spread compost around the Sweet Olive shrubs and added compost to the soil where I removed the Mexican Feather Grass.
  • Watered lots of shrubs with the hose, but I didn't water the roses this time around.
  • Laid down compost in several places in the Star Garden and planted some Calendula seeds.  I planted two packets of Calendula seeds.  I pulled up the Mexican Feather grass in Max's Garden, it was looking kind of ratty.  I laid down Calendula seeds in its place.
  • Went for a ride around the property on Friday night.  We ran through a spider web, and I saw the spider fall right next to me on the seat.  I felt him bite me when I swatted him away.  My finger swelled up, but no big deal.  And then on Monday, a wasp stung me on the finger right next to the one with the spider bite.  Wasps hurt!  My whole hand swelled up and it is still super itchy now.  Went to the emergency room during work on Tuesday because my hand and arm were so swollen I was really uncomfortable.
  • Replaced the sprinkler set up in the Greenhouse.
  • I spent a lot of time spreading herb seeds in the Infinity Garden and the Vegetable Garden.  Now that we're into September I'm planting cool weather-loving herbs: Italian and curly parsley, cilantro, chervil, dill, watercress, and fennel.  I turned a lot of the earth in the Infinity Garden and pulled up a lot of scraggly Gotu Kola.  Then I spread seed, then I laid chicken wire down and hammered the chicken wire in place with big plastic spikes.  This is armadillo protection.  Those destructive animals turn everything up and make growing plants from seed impossible.  But this should work well.  I've done this before, a few years ago. 
  • I'm trying to cover up some of my bare spots in the Infinity Garden because it is next to the arbor.  My daughter in law wants to have her baby shower in October at our house because it is the halfway point between Austin and Houston and an easy drive to make in one day there and back.  The weather should be tolerable in October so we can make a very pretty scene under the wisteria-covered arbor with white table cloths, etc.   
  • I transplanted the henna plant from the pot it was in over to an empty spot in the Infinity Garden.  It was blocking one of the paths.
  • Late Sunday night my husband and I took a drive around the property.  We got the cub cadet stuck, and we had to walk a half mile back to house.  It was a moonless night, very dark.  I was in sandals.  Disconcerting! 
  • Pulled weeds.
  • Deadheaded zinnias.
  • No progress on clearing the land across from the house.  There is a burn ban in Washington County, so we cannot burn the debris we clear.  We don't want a massive pile of debris sitting near the house for no telling how long.
  • Cleaned the usual suspects - toilets, sinks, shower, changed the sheets.  
  • Slept all the way home while my husband drove.  


No comments:

Post a Comment