Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend at the Farm March 14 - 16, 2014


The forsythia is in full bloom right now.  So pretty!
  • Took Friday off to go to the Mercer Plant Sale.  Met Nancy and Lisa there.  Bought 3 Butterfly gingers of an unknown variety (they were really inexpensive), 2 Kinkaku Butterfly gingers, several Gilt Edge Toad Lilies, a Mock Orange, a Styrax Japonicus 'Emerald Pagoda' which is a small tree that blooms white flowers.  I hope I can keep the Mock Orange and Emerald Pagoda alive.  They are both very special trees.  I also bought 2 ground covers called Frogfruit and 2 Spreadleaf asters.  Looks like it's going to drop to 36 tonight.  I hope they stay alive.  I bought $100 of herbs right before the temperature dropped into the 20s a couple of weeks ago.  They didn't make it, needless to say.
  • Went to Burton after the plant sale and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the day - napped and lounged and made a pot roast for dinner.  Bert arrived that evening.
  • Saturday morning I shredded leaves that I raked last weekend.  Spread some of the leaves in one of the new beds I made and piled the rest up next to the Vegetable Garden.  That is officially the end of leaf shredding for the 2013 - 2014 season.
  • Saturday morning and early afternoon I loaded 4 truckloads of crushed granite and spread it in the path that extends from the gate by the Rose Garden all the way to the house. 
  • Wandered round and round Saturday evening as I often do, looking at everything, planning, and contemplating life at the farm.
  • Sunday I worked in the Orchard for a long time pulling weeds and raking.  I turned some soil over in several places where it was really weedy.  
  • I planted all the plants I purchased on Friday.  I put several of the gingers in the Star Garden as well as the ageratum, the Frogfruit, and the asters.  I planted the Toad Lily and the Kinkaku Gingers in the new bed in Bert's Garden.
  • Spent the rest of Sunday spreading crushed granite in the paths of the Star Garden, and I finished the little area leading into the Rose Garden that was unfinished.
  • My back is aching from all the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment