Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekend at the Farm March 29 - 30, 2014


What a perfect weekend.  Sunny and cool.  I tried to get the kids up here for a visit - the weather was so beautiful - but they all had plans.
  • The Little Blue Stem grass that I seeded in the clearing in front of the house has sprouted.  What I love about seeds is that I'm always amazed and surprised when they sprout - even though they always do.  Those feelings happen every time I come upon some ground that I have seeded, and I see the little green darlings dusting the ground.  That is a pretty pleasant experience to have so often.  Lucky me - to be so easily pleased at something so simple.
  • Saturday morning I vacuumed the whole house and shook out all the rugs.
  • Went to the feed store in Carmine after that.  Bought cottonseed meal to fertilize the fruit trees and Contender Bush Bean seeds, red seed potatoes, and White Scallop squash seeds.  I will plant all that this weekend in the Vegetable Garden.
  • Saturday spread 4 loads of crushed granite in the Star Garden.  I wasn't going to do the two center, circular walkways because I covered them in crushed granite two years ago, but my husband convinced me to do them.
  • Saturday afternoon I turned over 4 beds in the Vegetable Garden, added cotton seed meal to the soil, and seeded two of the beds with seed potatoes and two of the beds with squash.  I'm growing the squash for the blossoms.  Squash blossoms are a delicacy.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Vegetable Garden, it was pretty weedy in the paths.
  • Saturday evening I walked round and round looking at everything, glass of wine in hand.
  • Went in to Carmine and ate at JW's Saturday night. 
  • Some time in the middle of the night on Sunday I woke with fever.  Didn't feel well all day, achy and feverish.  I blame Brenda C who was coughing up a lung during a meeting on Thursday.  And I will call her up on Monday and let her know! 
  • Went into town on Sunday morning with my husband to get the Cub Cadet tire repaired.  Couldn't get it done, though, and burned the entire morning trying.
  • Also went to Home Depot to get a few things.  I bought some succulents to plant in a pot in the Infinity Garden.  I just love them!  Every shape imaginable, they are fascinating little plants:  Crosby Jade Plant, Donkey Tail Burrito, Belle Blue Pachyveria, Cobwed Cebenese, Aloe Vera, ET's Fingers, and Hens and Chicks.  I also bought 3 two gallons Lorapetalums to put in an empty spot around the pool.  The pool area looks the worst of all the places on the farm.  I am not a landscaper!  Cottage gardening is what I can do because it is totally unorganized.
  • Planted the succulents.
  • Planted the Lorapetalums.
  • Turned over another bed in the Vegetable Garden, mixed in some cotton seed meal, and seeded it with Contender green beans.  Also tucked in some squash seeds and green bean seeds in a few other places.  Inter planted with French Marigolds.  The marigolds I seeded last weekend have already sprouted.
  • Sprayed herbicide Sunday afternoon round the pool, in the Orchard, the driveway in front of the house, and the Rose Garden.
  • Broke up some clay pots that were crumbling and threw all the shards at the entrance to the Rose Garden.  It looks pretty good, decorative. 
  • Loosened the soil and seeded a couple more places in the Star Garden and in the Orchard with Goldsturm seeds, Maxima seeds, Scarlet Flax, Baby's Breath, and Laura Bush Petunia seeds.
  • Sunday evening I walked round and round, wine glass in hand, looking at everything and watering here and there with my watering can.

No comments:

Post a Comment