Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Weekend at the Farm March 22 - 23, 2014

Saturday was really pretty, Sunday was cold and gray.
  • I went to the herb sale in Round Top on Saturday morning.  I bought some treasures:  4 horehound plants, 3 pineapple sage, 4 lambs ears, 3 Dittany of Crete, 5 absinthe wormwood - this is the real wormwood that absinthe is made from, previously I have only grown ornamental wormwood. 2 Roundleaf Rose Scented Geraniums, 2 Rose Scented Thyme, 1 Hyssop Tea Zuta Levana, 4 rosemary plants, and 4 Lion's Tail.  Everything went into the Medicine garden except the Lion's Tail which is an orange flowering perennial.
  • Saturday and Sunday I spread some granite in the Star Garden.
  • Saturday afternoon our new neighbors came driving up pulling Bert behind them in the Cub Cadet.  It stalled out when he was driving down the road while inviting the neighbors to the Crawfish Boil.  So we spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening with them.  Since they are about to build out here they were interested in our place.  We drove them around the property on all the trails and showed them the gardens, etc.  Fun people!
  • I noticed that some of my Rudbeckia Maxima had seeded along the fence in the Vegetable Garden.  I love that plant, so I was very excited about that.  I transplanted four clumps of it to the Star Garden.
  • I planted 7 tomato plants in the Vegetable Garden, most of them heirloom varieties:  2 Beefmaster, 1 Lemon Boy, 1 Better Boy, 1 Pineapple, 1 Mountain Pride, and 1 Rutgers Select. Interplanted with Genovese Basil, also planted 3 Genovese in the Kitchen Herb Garden.
  • Last week I seeded the newly cleared area in front of the house with Little Bluestem.  I do not see any of it sprouting.  Last weekend I also spread some TexOk Buffalo grass in the back yard.  No sprouting yet either.
  • Spread some seed in the Star Garden and the bed I made in the Rose Garden:  Baby's Breath, Bee Balm, Scarlet Flax, and Laura Bush Petunias.
  • Planted a Constance Elliot Passion Vine in the same spot I try to grow a vine every year.  Can't seem to keep anything alive in that spot.  I have a goat wire arbor there, and it really needs something growing over it because it looks pretty ugly just sitting there bare.
  • Lettuce from the garden for salad Saturday night.
  • I found a group of bulbs sprouting by one of my arbors - I had completely forgotten that I moved some pineapple lilies that were being eaten by voles.  I love surprises like that. 
  • Watered here and there.
  • Cut away dead vegetation in the Shade Garden.  And I cut away the dead Indigo Spires salvia.  It is coming up from the roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment