Saturday, February 21, 2015

Days at the Farm February 19 - 20, 2015

This is my sweet grandson, Sammy.

Went to the farm Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday.  Home to Houston for dinner at Brennan's with Bert's kids.  Stopped at Home Depot for green metal landscaping strips and more lumber for the pool decking.
  • Started working on a new path with the landscaping strips I bought.  I'm finishing out the area near the Greenhouse and gardens surrounding it.  The wedding ceremony will be just on the other side of the area, and it needs some sprucing up.  I set three of the landscaping strips around two trees and the other two along the edge of flowerbeds that are already in place to make a path.  I filled the tree area with fallen leaves I raked up.  That will keep the weeds at bay.  I'm having 5 yards of decomposed granite delivered on Friday, and I will begin laying it down in the paths.  I'm short by about 6 landscaping strips in order to finish out the area, darn it.  They cost ten dollars  each.
  • Pruned my elderberry plants, henna, and sweet myrtle in the Medicine Garden.
  • Pruned a couple of roses in the Rose Garden.
  • Drove around the property with Bert.  Everything is still wearing its winter coat.
  • Slept in on Friday until 8.  Looks cloudy, might rain.
  • Friday morning I pruned my anisacanthus, white mist flower, and lion's mane all the way to the ground.  Began the process of cutting back all my autumn sage. 
  • Granite arrived about 11:30.
  • Pruned 2 La Marne roses then began my crushed granite project.
  • Laid down one more landscaping strip (my husband bought 6 more for me when he went into town for more lumber) so I can close off the path near the house.
  • Took a long nap with my sweet Cosmo kitty that we have begun taking with us to Burton since Beth passed away.  We don't want kitty to be lonely.
  • Planted two Guacamole Plantain Lilies in one of the new beds I built close to the house.  These are the only hostas that have ever done well for me.  All the others I have purchased through the years have  faded away after the first season.  I love them and can't quite seem to give up on them even though Texas heat does not make them happy.  I bought them last week, they are crowns, not potted.  I dropped them in one of the rain buckets to hydrate the roots and promptly forgot about them.  So I planted them today.  Hope they make it after sitting submerged in water for a week.
  • As usual, Bert and I walked around and surveyed all we have done.  He finished building the deck around the pool.  It looks most excellent.  The seeds I planted in the pots - Rose Campion, Catmint, beets, and purple loosestrife are just just just beginning to sprout. You have to look with the utmost concentration to see seedlings in the soil.
  • Friday evening Venus and the moon made a beautiful spectacle.  We walked out to the cul d'sac and viewed the wondrous sight for a long time - us, the four dogs, and even the cat made the trip.
  • Woke up before daylight Saturday morning and sat outside hoping to hear all the animals that I heard last week.  But alas, I only heard one lone rooster crow and nothing else.
  • Cut back the last anisacanthus, all the autumn sages in the Star Garden, the last three of the La Marne roses in the Star Garden, and the last of the roses in the Rose Garden.  I wasn't going to prune the two Noisettes and Bermuda's Kathleen, but the more I looked at them the more I realized there was a lot dead wood in the middle of them.  That took a long time, but it was worth it.
  • Weeded here and there.
  • Fertilized my gilt-edged toad lily.  
  • Spread four or five more wheelbarrows of granite in the new path and laid down another green strip between one of the ginger beds and the horse shoe pit. 
  • Cleaned the house and headed back to Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment