Sunday, February 15, 2015

Weekend at the Farm February 14 - 15, 2015

This paperwhite is from Nixon Lake Road.

Beautiful weather, although I hear a cold snap is coming sometime next week.
  • Pruning the roses is the big project for the weekend.  Hopefully I will get all of them pruned over the next two days.  I pruned three on Friday afternoon.  Saturday morning I pruned eight.  
  • Raked the Rose Garden on Friday afternoon, but all I did was make a bunch of piles of leaves.  Still need to haul them away.
  • Friday afternoon I also dug up some more plants around the pool and moved them.  I moved some Cigar Plant to one of the new beds I built.  I dug up and re-planted two clumps of yellow lantana and one one clump of orange lantana into that same bed.  And I planted one clump of yellow lantana in the bed leading to the Boardwalk.  And finally I planted a Senna in the Hot Border next to the Vegetable Garden and one Senna in the bed with the Cigar Plant and lantana.  It gets hard to remember everywhere I sticking stuff.  I have to pay close attention to it now and as summer approaches in order to make sure it does not die from lack of water.  This morning I was looking for the Senna I planted - I couldn't remember where I planted it at first - ah - the Hot Border (mental note).  I really want the Senna to make it.  Senna has beautiful yellow flowers in the spring and fall.  And the Cloudless Sulphur butterflies lay their eggs on it.
  • Met mom and dad in town for lunch.  They were checking out the bed and breakfast they are renting for the wedding weekend.
  • After lunch Bert and I went to Home Depot and bought more lumber for the pool decking.
  • I pruned three more roses when we got home.
  • Replaced the leaking faucet on the sprinkler system in the Rose Garden and watered the garden.
  • Various small daffodils have begun to bloom.  My narcissus odorous and the little "found" ones are beginning to bloom throughout the garden.  Daffodils are such sweet flowers.
  • The neighbors are building a house to the right of us.  They were here this weekend with guests.  Sadie barked all day at the noise.
  • Saw some of those white sucking insects on one of my roses today.  Horrors.  I sprayed insect oil on them.  I don't want to see that kind of insect spread.  I had a real problem with them in Houston for a while.  If they get out of control it's pretty nasty. 
  • Watered here and there with my watering can - my new transplants, my new plants, and some of my young roses in the Rose Garden.
  • Couldn't sleep so I got up before daylight on Sunday and sat outside on the porch with the dogs and a cup of coffee.  We listened to the roosters crowing and dogs barking in the distance, coyotes howling, and we even heard a turkey gobbling over and over again.  The dogs bark at every sound during the day, but in the dark early morning they never bark.  It's always a very peaceful time.
  • Sunday morning I pruned four or five more roses.  There are about 15 more to go.  I gathered up all the leaves I raked up yesterday and put some around my Fortune's Double and dumped the rest on the edge of the neighbors' property.  The fact that they are building a house is cramping my style.  First of all, my favorite Rose Garden dumping ground is about to be taken away, and second - I'm out there early, probably 7:00, maybe earlier.  Hello someone says - I look up, there are the two of them.  No, I don't want to see you in my private space.  Jeez.  What happened to my seclusion?  If you're going to be there, don't be visible at 7 in the morning when I'm not expecting to see anyone.  I haven't even brushed my teeth.  I don't want to speak.
  • William, Kim and the kids came and spent the night so nothing of consequence was accomplished after that.  Played with Zelda in the fort (which she calls the little house).  Henry is getting to be a lot more fun, smiling and walking.
  • Made chicken and sausage gumbo.
  • Vacuumed and mopped the living room, kitchen, dining room and guest bedroom.  Cleaned the guest bathroom, shook out the rugs, changed the sheets, did a bunch of laundry.  
  • Cut back the butterfly bush in the Star Garden.
  • Started lightly raining for most of the afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment