Sunday, February 1, 2015

Weekend at the Farm January 30 - February 1, 2015

 I seeded this pot of soil with Mesclun.  All my clay pots are pretty worn, but they still work.

Big round of layoffs at work today, but I made it through.  Drove to the farm Friday afternoon.  Home on Sunday for a Superbowl party at my folks.
  •  Worked on my wine bottle flowerbed edging Friday afternoon.  I'm just doing one side of the flowerbed - it's hard to get those labels off the bottles!  I have had the wine bottles soaking in a tub of water since last weekend, but it's still some work getting the paper off and all the glue rubbed off.
  • Saturday morning I shredded leaves behind the shed and next to the arbor.  I was able to add a truckload and several bags of shredded leaves to my leaf pile and to the compost pile.
  • Raked in the Shade Garden.  Added some of the leaves to the flowerbeds and piled up the rest.
  • Got most of the ginger and snakeroot dead vegetation cleaned out of the Shade Garden.
  • I noticed lots of Excelsior Spanish Bluebells coming up in the Shade Garden.  I had forgotten I planted them.  Once I saw them I remembered that the plan last year was to begin creating a mass of bluebells at the edge of the Shade Garden along the driveway.  You will see them as you drive to the house.  It is something that will take some years, but it will be quite pretty.
  • Turned the soil and planted two more more rows of Early Wonder beets and two rows of Red Magic Hybrid Swiss.
  • Filled a pot with soil, set it on the metal frame of an old vanity chair in the Star Garden, and seeded it with Mesclun.
  • Finished my project in Max's Garden.  I'm very excited about it.  I used the soil I dug up to finish filling the flowerbed with the wine bottle edging.  I have lots of new beds now to fill with plants.  These beds are all located in the shade.  Although I prefer sunny gardening to shady gardening, it will be fun choosing plants for these beds.
  • Sunday morning I watered the Rose Garden.  It was supposed to rain - rain was everywhere but did not get us.  I also watered the Medicine Garden.
  • Cleaned the shower, sinks and toilets - the ususal suspects.  
  • Headed home to get ready for the Superbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment