Sunday, March 1, 2015

Weekend at the Farm February 28 - March 1, 2015

This is my Pearl Bush (Exochorda racemosa) blooming.  Pearl Bush blooms in the very, very early spring, around the same time as Ornamental Quince.  I've always wanted to buy / grow  Quince.  Pearl Bush and Quince bloom even earlier than Forsythia around here.  It's always nice to have things blooming in the cold, gray winter months.
 
Came up on Friday afternoon by myself and worked in the afternoon.  Spent the night, worked half a day on Saturday.  Drove into town for the wedding of a co-worker, Cassandra.  Bert and I danced up a storm.  I'm sure all the people that work for me will have a hey day over that.  What we lack in style we more than make up for in enthusiasm.  Came back up on Sunday morning with Bert and the dogs.  The weather was really cold and misty all weekend.
  • Friday afternoon I pruned the grape vines in the Orchard.  That was a much more pleasant job than I remember it being last year.
  • I also cut back the autumn sage along the back of the house and the sage in the Kitchen Herb Garden.  Looks a lot better, neater.
  • Hauled lots of wheelbarrows full of granite over to the Greenhouse Garden.  I laid it down thinly because I was covering an old layer in a path I've previously made.  When you spread it on dirt you lose a couple inches of when you walk on it and grind it into the ground.  When I spread it on dirt I try to cover it with about 4 inches.  When I am re-covering paths I spread it as thinly as I can, an inch or two.
  • On Sunday I spent the morning spreading crushed granite in the Shade Garden just for a change of scenery.
  • I transplanted several Ox Eye Daisies and Verbena Bonariensis that were growing in paths.
  • I sowed all the Nicotiana alata seeds in partially shady beds in the Star Garden.  I'm not expecting any frost for the rest of the year.  Maybe some light freezes, but they should be okay.  I also sowed the rest of the Catmint seed in the Star Garden.  The Catmint I sowed a couple of weeks ago seems to be doing fine, so I finished it off.
  • Sunday afternoon I finished the area next to the Medicine Garden, it is the area where the wedding guests will walk through on their way to their seats for the ceremony.  Looks good.  
  • Planted two packages of Strawberry Candy daylilies, some in the front flowerbed and some in the Rose Garden next to Chrysler Imperial.
  • Packed it in about four o'clock - cold and tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment