Sunday, March 15, 2015

Weekend at the Farm March 12 - 14, 2015


Arrived Friday morning.  Drove into town on Saturday morning to attend my daughter in law's baby shower for little Wes Jameson and my future daughter in law's bridal shower   Back home Saturday evening.
  • Brought bags of potting soil up with me on Friday to fill the big plastic feed buckets that my husband got from his friend Albert Myers. I planted tomatoes in three buckets before I ran out of soil Beefmaster, Superfantastic, Brandywine, Better Boy).  Planted one tomato plant in one of the raised beds (Yellow Pineapple).
  • Sowed Scarlet Runner Beans along the narrow goat wire arbors in the Vegetable Garden.  Planted two rows of cucumber seeds along the long goat wire arbor in the Vegetable Garden.  Sowed a long line of parsley seed in front of the cucumbers.  Tucked squash seeds in here and there where ever I thought there was a little room. 
  • Not much room left for anything else in the raised beds.  I can fit two or three eggplants where my brussels sprouts are growing now.  I will probably buy plants next week and plant them next weekend.
  • I have three more large feed buckets left.  I plan to plant one more tomato in one of them, and I will plant peanuts in the other two.  
  • My husband got a yard and a half of crushed granite at Papescapes which was a relief because I am not finished with what I want to do, and I'm all out of rock.  
  • I spread rock in the area between the big arbor and the path I just built. 
  • Sunday morning I weeded in the Orchard for a couple of hours, raked away some leaves, and cut back my near-dead Pomegranate.  I need to spend more time in there, probably next weekend.
  • Fertilized my Victoria Falls bearded irises next to the Orchard.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Orchard, along the Boardwalk, and a few places in the Star Garden. 
  • Spread gravel in the few remaining places in the Star Garden that I wanted to get to.  I'm probably done with that, no more before the wedding.
  • Filled the last three buckets in the Vegetable Garden with potting soil I bought when I was in town for the showers.  Planted the last tomato plant in one and planted Virginia peanuts in the other two.  Today I planted a Brandywine, a yellow plum, Beefmaster, BetterBoy, and SuperFantastic.
  • Josh gave Bert a CD for Chirstmas, and I think after 15 years of marriage we finally found our song, by Dan Reeder:  I've Got All The Fuckin' Work I Need.
  • The Nema-Gone Marigold seeds that I sowed last week have sprouted!  So cute.
  • Bert and I walked round and round looking at everything Sunday evening, and I wandered around after the sun set for a long time.  We took a ride around the property (as we do every evening).  Lovely.
  • Sowed Valentine Mix Cypress Vine under the goat wire arbor in the Star Garden, and under one of the conveyor belts in the Star Garden, and under the trellis in the Star Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment