Sunday, May 14, 2017

Day at the Farm May 13, 2017

Two years ago I planted a bunch of day lily roots - skinny, pathetic little things - that I ordered from one of the Dutch bulb companies out of season (they were on sale super cheap).  This year they are finally blooming, they have sent up lots of thick sturdy stalks.  This is the first bloom.
 
I arrived before Bert on Friday afternoon.  I drove to Blake's on Sunday morning for a Mother's Day get together.  M and D, Nan and Lisa, Josh, Max and Chelsea and Blake's family and Mr.H's mom and brother were all there.
  • Friday evening I picked green beans and we had them for dinner.
  • Saturday morning I loaded the cub with mulch.  I weeded and mulched near the conveyor belt structures.  I also mulched the small asparagus bed in the Vegetable Garden.  I used the last of it in the Thryallis bed by the pool.  
  • I staked bee balm in two beds in the Star Garden.  I also staked the Four O'Clocks in the bed by the dining room window.  I've never tried to stake my Four 'O Clocks before, I usually just start whacking at it when it falls into the paths.  We'll see how effective that is. 
  • I made a batch of blackberry jelly.  I thought I had enough berries for two batches, but not quite unfortunately.  There are still a lot of berries on the canes, so hopefully I can get one more batch of jelly made - a total of three this season.
  • I pulled up some spent poppies and sowed zinnia seed.
  • Watered all my potted plants.
  • I watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day.
  • I pulled up some cilantro in the Vegetable Garden that had gone to seed.  In its place I sowed some Opopeao amaranth seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment