Sunday, May 7, 2017

Day at the Farm May 6, 2017

 Lots of flowers blooming in the Star Garden.  The flowers in this picture:  Butterfly weed, cannas, Giant Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, poppies, verbena, daisies, roses, and zinnias.

Koy spent the night on Friday, and I drove to the farm by myself on Saturday morning.  Bert and Max went to a golf tournament.  I drove back on Sunday morning to go to Zelda's birthday party.
  • Pretty much the only thing I did on Saturday was to load the cadet with mulch and spread it in the Medicine Garden.  I am on a mission to get rid of a particular weed - how can I describe it - it has a tender talk with serrated leaves and it flowers sort of fuzzy-looking fluffs at each leaf nodule.  Yes, I can describe it THAT exactly because it has been the pain in my side for several summers.  Last year I let it get totally out of hand, and I'm paying for it now.  All the mulching I'm doing right now is geared towards trying to stop this weed from growing. 
  • I watered the Mayhaw and the Satsuma and the Jujube.  I forgot to turn off the water, luckily I walked down to the Orchard in the evening and saw that the water had created a gully in the soil and  was pouring down the slope along the side of the Orchard.  I felt so guilty for wasting all that water! 
  • We are having a about 5 acres of land cleared, about half an acre has been cleared so far.
  • It's getting hot.  I adjusted the sprinklers by five minutes on all zones.
  • The blue flowers of my anise hyssop are absolutely covered with honeybees.  It's actually quite astounding how many bees are on those flowers.  I watched the show for a long time.
  • I picked lots of blackberries - a large bowl-full.  I made jelly, six jars.  I'm not actually a fan of jelly, but I give it away to family.
  • Sunday, I didn't have a lot of time but I managed to get a lot done.
  • I pulled lots of weeds.  Everywhere I walked I pulled weeds.
  • I watered in the Rose Garden.  The way I water in the Rose Garden is to put the sprinkler in each of the rose beds on the setting that creates a short (about two feet tall) little waterspout shape.  It's perfect for soaking a four x four space.  I set it on a 15 minute timer.  Then I move it to the next bed.  It's a high maintenance activity, but it gets the soil thoroughly wet. 
  • I watered all the pots in the Star Garden and around the pool.  So far the mulch I put on top of the soil in the pots around the pool has kept them looking pretty good in between weekend waterings, but that won't last much longer with the heat creeping up on us.
  • I picked more blackberries and some green beans and a few patty pan squash to bring home.
  • I walked around all the beds with Tickseed and Ox Eye daisies and pushed / tucked all the flowers leaning into paths back into the beds.  I want them to reseed in the beds, not the paths.  It doesn't look pretty, but it's not permanent.    
  • I pulled up spent poppies in the Star Garden and the Vegetable Garden and sowed zinnia seeds.
  • I sprayed herbicide in the Star Garden paths and in the Orchard paths.  I hit a bunch of Mexicali Rose with herbicide as I walked down the Boardwalk.  It wants to get totally out of hand, but herbicide is very effective on it considering it's such a tall plant.
  • Headed back to Houston about 11.  


No comments:

Post a Comment