Sunday, April 28, 2019

Swallowtail Butterfly Larva April 28, 2019

I bought an ounce of parsley seeds from Johnny's Select Seed website last winter (that's a lot of parsley seeds).  I sowed parsley everywhere - in the bed adjacent to the Greenhouse, the wheelbarrow in this picture, the bed adjacent to the dining room window, the Vegetable Garden, and in several places in the Medicine Garden.  The purpose was not because I like to cook with parsley!  It was because the black swallowtail butterflies lay their eggs on plants in the parsley family.  And I love butterflies.
This is a terrible picture - the parsley is displayed in fine detail and the caterpillar is blurry.  But, you get the idea.  I have zillions of caterpillars amongst my parsley chomping away.

There are 3 caterpillars in this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment