Monday, April 15, 2019

Weekend at the Farm April 6 - 7, 2019

This is Marie d' Orleans.

Bert and I waited until after traffic died down on Friday evening and headed to the farm together.  On Sunday morning we left and went to Wes' 4th birthday party.
  • Friday evening when we arrived I wandered through the Star Garden and Medicine Garden in the dark.  Bert spotted a copperhead by the arbor and shot him.  I'm glad I didn't step on him in the dark - one thinks of running in to them in the day time, not the dark.  Yuck.  We left the snake there where he met his untimely end, and he was gone by the morning.  Animals around here are like little vacuum cleaners.
  • Saturday morning - rain and thunder.  Gone by 9:30.
  • I planted 15 Siberian Iris in the Orchard, Star Garden, and Back Beds.  Three each of Ego (blue), Gulls Wing (white), Coronation Anthem, (deep blue), Cesar's Brother (deep blue), Happy Ever After (white and yellow), Butter and Sugar (white and yellow)
  • I planted a Golden Fantasy daylily that I got as a gift from Roots and Rhizomes in the Star Garden.
  • I pulled up the mustard growing in one of the big buckets in the Vegetable Garden.  It had gone to seed.  I planted a white eggplant.  The Vegetable Garden looks good right now.  We have garlic, onions, potatoes, swiss chard, asparagus, eggplant, tomatoes, beets, parsnips, carrots, sugar cane, lettuce, bell peppers and peppers planted right now.  The collards are on their way out, and the parsnips and beets are ready to come up, but I will wait until after the crawfish boil to do that.
  • I weeded and weeded.  The weeds aren't bad (like they will get in the summer), but it doesn't take much for them to take over.
  • I planted a Genovese basil in the Kitchen Herb Garden.
  • Spread a few loads of gravel in the Star Garden and the Orchard.  



No comments:

Post a Comment