Friday, August 5, 2022

Day at the Farm August 3, 2022

This is the tassel of an amaranth.

 I drove up Wednesday morning to drop Rocky off at the vet.  They are going to check his glucose levels related to his newly acquired diabetes, poor good dog.

  • Worked.
  • During lunch I sowed field peas in 3 places in the Vegetable Garden.  This is a cover crop, I will turn it under next month.  Peas are nitrogen-fixing, and when I turn them over it will condition the soil and nematodes don't like all that richness in the soil.  I'm determined to rid myself of nematodes the sensible way (I've tried various remedies - orange oil, crushed crab shells, elbon rye, and beneficial nematodes).  And the theory of the moment - my best estimate of the sensible way - is green manure and lots of it.  Peas don't like hot weather, but I just need them to sprout, they don't have to do much else.
  • Watered here and there in the Star Garden.
  • Watered a bit in the Rose Garden.
  • Headed to Brenham at 5:00, picked up Rocky, then home.

No comments:

Post a Comment